The kids are out of school. The days are long and hot. It’s vacation season, the perfect time to get away and explore new places. Whether your summer adventures take you a short distance from home or oceans away, here are a few tips to help you enjoy your travels safely.
- If possible travel with at least one travel companion.
- When traveling out of the country do your research and be aware of local customs, laws, etc.
- Be mindful of your luggage at all times
- Carry your money and personal objects in a bag or purse that you can hide under your clothes.
- Use a business card as your luggage tag. Try not to use your home address.
- Never tell anyone that you are traveling alone. If someone persistently asks, don’t hesitate to lie.
- If attending a conference do not wear your name badge when you leave the event hotel.
- Wear minimal jewelry. Lots of expensive and flashy jewelry makes you an easier target for predators. Also, consider using disposable cameras instead of bringing your digital camera. Expensive cameras are popular targets for thieves.
- Avoid going out alone at night and as always TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS!!
Please share your thoughts and tips on having safe and fun summer vacations.