With Hurricane Sandy barreling down on us, I thought I’d keep today’s post short and sweet. No one can say what havoc Sandy is going to bring, but in an effort to ride out this storm as safely and comfortably as possible, here a a few preparedness tips.
- Have enough water for each person in the house for 3 days. Best estimate is one gallon of water per person per day.
- Have a three day supply of non-perishable foods.
- Have enough pet care supplies for three days
- Have flashlights and batteries for them
- Have a battery operated radio
- Have first aid kit
- Have emergency blankets
During the storm:
- Go to an interior room and stay away from windows and doors even if they’re covered
- Don’t go outside including when the eye of the storm is passing.
For additional hurricane preparedness and safety tips or to prepare for any other type of storm, you can visit the American Red Cross’s Disaster and Safety Library.
Hang in there all. Sandy is going to give us a heck of a bumpy ride. So stay safe and dry.